Participating by doing like mom and dad helps young children to gain self-confidence and older children to become independent. They realize that they are not alone in the world, that others count and that they have the power to act on what surrounds them.
The family is the place where the child can begin to exercise his autonomy and learn to respect others. It is in this environment that the child begins to learn his duty as a citizen, to be responsible for himself and for others.
Sharing family tasks is a family conversation that often says a lot about how each person behaves in relation to the other. Doing things for the child is also, unconsciously, wanting to keep them dependent. Let’s look at the young adults of 18 who still don’t know how to operate a washing machine … Teaching him to help is asking the question of how do I imagine my child growing up and able to do without me?
Works of family interest for the smooth running of the household and the family
- Wash pans and other things that don’t go in the dishwasher
- Fill the dishwasher and switch it on
- Empty the dishwasher
- Clean floors whenever necessary, but at least once a week
- Clean the toilet whenever necessary, but at least once a week
- Clean the bathroom whenever necessary, but at least once a week, the shower and the bathtub are rinsed after each use
- Clean the kitchen, whenever necessary that is, almost every evening, if not after each meal.
- Sort recyclable waste
- Go to the recycling center
- Washing and ironing of common laundry (dishtowels bath towels, etc.)
- Empty the cat’s crate
- Give the cat food and drink
- Empty the compost container
- Mowing the lawn
- Take out the trash
- Put the trash out of the truck on Tuesday morning
- Design and plan meals
- Prepare meals
- Ensure that the shopping list is made
- Purchases of food and other materials necessary for the functioning of the family
- Make the payments
- Strip the mail and do all the administrative procedures necessary for the functioning of the family and the development of the people who live there
- Be constantly attentive and ensure the smooth running of the household and the family and the good development of the people who live there
- Work remunerated outside the family so that the financial contribution is sufficient for the functioning of the family and the development of the people who live there
- Investing, devoting part of one’s freedom to the benefit of the family and the people who live there
- Agree to confront other people living in the family to obtain mutual respect for each other, even though the simplest tasks of daily life. NB confrontation does not necessarily mean aggressiveness
- Think and make all proposals for the development and order of housing for the well being of each
- Plan, execute or have executed all acts necessary for the maintenance of the car and other vehicles